Pilya

Pilya
Read this and more at The Duck!

Webcomic Archive

Monday, June 20, 2005

(Belated) Happy Father's Day!

I hope dad knows how much we love him :) I remember that day long ago when Papa was driving home from Manila to San Pablo with me in the half-sleeping in the backseat. The radio's on and it played what was starting to be popular, the song "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle.

"There's two things I know for sure:
She was sent here from heaven and she's
daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night
She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and
I thank god for all the joy in my life
Oh, but most of all
For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her
hair; "Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."
In all that I've done wrong I know I must
have done something right to deserve a hug
every morning and butterfly kisses at night."

It was only the second time I heard the song then but I already liked it, gushing about it with my fellow song enthusiast (and awesome singer)Claudia Dooma, who was also my classmate in UST-Architecture. I went on in my half-asleep state enjoying the song...

"Sweet 16 today
She's looking like her mama a little more everyday
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and make-up from ribbons and curls
Trying her wings out in a great big world.
But I remember
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer; sticking
little white flowers all up in her hair.
"You know how much I love you, Daddy, But if you
don't mind I'm only gonna kiss you on the cheek this time."
With all that I've done wrong I must have done
something right to deserve her love every morning
and butterfly kisses at night."

Yep, it may be a bit mushy but I actually think it's a nice song...

"All the precious time
Like the wind, the years go by.
Precious butterfly.
Spread your wings and fly."

I mean, the music arrangements great, and I appreciate good voice blending (which is why I practice providing second voice every chance I get, it challenges me). It goes on to the rest of the song, which I already know since I heard it before...

"She'll change her name today...
~KZZZT!~
AAAAAAND Johnny Abarrientos gets the ball!!! the crowd goes wild!"

...Or not. That's when I looked up in time to see that Papa has changed the stations. I guess he didn't like that particular line of the song :)

It always made me smile because I really thought it was funny how he quickly switched radio stations that long-ago night. As for me, I only hope that I can make him happy by doing what I love to do as I develop my career in my own road. I pray that he finds happiness in every moment. That he knows we love him and always think of him as he works in China.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I love that song! I find it so sweet and it gets me all teary-eyed whenever I hear it :)

jactinglim said...

shelly- heehee! same here! :D